Millions of people report stolen passports every year! Don’t be one of them. Here’s how to keep your passport safe:
- Buy a leather case for your passport. Looks good and keeps it damage-proof.
- Memorise your passport’s number, issue and expiration date so that you don’t have to keep pulling it out each time you need to fill a form.
- How safe is a hotel ‘safe’? Nobody knows. We suggest you keep your passport pouch in a thin ‘money belt’ worn under your shirt or inside your trousers.
- Pack an extra set of passport photos. Also scan and email yourself the passport’s information page. Keeps you consulate-ready if you lose your passport.
- If you go to a bar, restaurant or café, be careful to keep your purse, whether or not it has your passport in it, hooked over your knee.
Got a passport tip or experience to share? Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.