Planning a visit to the Taj Mahal? Here’s what you should know before you head to Agra:
- The Taj is open to the public from sunrise to sunset, except on Fridays and the month of Ramadan.
- Entry tickets are available at all world heritage site counters across India.
- Tickets are also available at Shilpgram near the Taj eastern gate and Taj shopping complex at the Taj western gate.
- Motor vehicles are not permitted within 500 meter radius of the mausoleum. You have to either take a battery operated bus or walk.
- Parking is available at Shilpgram & Amrood-Ka -Teela near the Western Gate.
- If you want to avoid the crowds and make a quick entry, try the south gate.
- Avoid large bags and books to get through security quickly.
- Try not to carry Batteries, chargers, electrical items (except your camera), liquor, knives, wire etc.
- You have to either take off your shoes or wear shoe covers before entering.
- Lockers are available at the entry gates. A fee is charged for using the cloakroom at the western gate.
- Video camera lockers are available at the Royal gate. Camcorders are not allowed after a certain limit.
- You need about 2 hours to tour the Taj premises.
- Water bottles, shoe covers, battery bus service and Restroom service are complimentary on foreigner’s tickets (Rs.750)
Know more at: www.tajmahal.gov.in
Taj under the spotlight:
“The ultimate representation of eternal love” has many moods and shades, as the day passes by. It is Pinkish in the morning, gleaming milky white under the sun and golden as the full moon rises. For an exclusive experience away from the crowds and heat, catch the Taj under a moonlit sky.
- Night viewing is open to tourists for 5 days in a month – Full moon days + 2 days before the full moon + 2 days after the full moon. Check for dates here: www.tajmahal.gov.in/faq_taj.html
- Tickets are available from 10 AM to 6 PM at ASI, 22 Mall road, Agra. Email: email@example.com
- Bookings are available 24 hrs prior to the night visit.
- Charges: Rs. 510 (domestic), Rs. 750 (Foreign national), Rs.500 (Child-9 to 15 years).
- The viewing is permitted from 20:30 hrs to 00:30 hrs.
- 30 minute slots for 8 batches of max. 50 people are allowed.
- Try to schedule a slot after 10 PM to witness Taj in all its glory.
- Also avoid the winter months, as the north Indian Fog can spoil your plans.
- Night viewing is closed on Fridays and the month of Ramadan.
- Tourists must reach Shilpgram near the eastern gate, half-an-hour before the scheduled visit.
- Mobile phones and extra camera batteries are strictly banned for night viewing.
- Also, do not make the grand plans on a lunar eclipse night. That could end up like this: http://merrytogoaround.com/2013/07/28/taj-mahal-bathed-in-moonlight/
- Check for lunar eclipse dates here: http://tajmahal.gov.in/faq_taj.html